He would have been done over a week ago, had I not dropped him. He slipped from my finger tips only about five inches above the counter which was enough to send him skittering away and into the sink. I immediately saw the left arm pop off and stood frozen, afraid to fetch him out for the thought of what I might find. After a while I mustered the courage to extract and inspect him. It could have been a lot worse. Yes his arm was gone, but there were only 4 small spots where the paint had chipped. As you can see in the photo the paint at the arm joint was severely damaged. I thought I could press it down back into place, but it was too brittle and just cracked off. It was impossible for me to fix the chips completely (three of them were on the leather which you know took a lot of layered washing) If you look closely you can still see those 3 spots where the paint chipped off. I figured no one would be examining him that closely, so I overlooked the imperfections. But if you're interested the most noticeable spot is on the back, right in the middle of his hood, you can easily see it in the picture. Well this is probably the only step-by-step I'll ever do. It was a pain documenting the steps and uploading pictures with my lovely dial-up internet, but I hope it was enlightening.
Phoenix Games in P3 color
Figures painted by the wife of the owner of the awsome little game shop in Logan Utah.
Saturday, November 19, 2011
Wednesday, November 2, 2011
Details, details, details.
Thursday, October 20, 2011
One hour per week is close to one per day right?
Saturday, October 8, 2011
Jarl goes PLAID
I didn’t do any painting on Thursday, but I painted for more than 2 hours yesterday. I am not going to post every step in detail because it takes way too long to upload all of the pictures and it interferes with my work to stop and take pictures every few minutes. Here is Jarl before I started painting
It was easy to complete the armor. First I applied a coat of “Pig Iron” Next I did a wash with pure “Armor Wash”( I want the armor to be shiny) third I dry brushed some “Quick Silver” and lastly I dry brushed some highlights on with “quick silver” mixed with “Glorious Gold”.
Not that I am really good at painting small straight lines, but I’ll give you some tips that help. First and foremost keep an eraser near by. The eraser should be a small wet brush with semi-stiff bristles, I use my old worn out dry brushing brush. as soon as you make a mistake rub the wet paint with the eraser brush, you need to be quick since the tiny amount of paint will dry fast. A good quality detail brush is crucial. The other thing that helps, or maybe hurts is having a high resolution camera, or a good magnifying glass. After taking pictures I zoomed in and found that the plaid looked crappy. That’s why I say maybe it hurts. So I spent another half hour touching up the plaid. It still looks far from perfect, but I don’t think anyone will be inspecting it with a magnifying glass.
Wednesday, October 5, 2011
First I brushed a coat of purple onto his skin.
I added some black and mixing medium to the purple and did a little wash.
So next I did what I’ll call a wet/dry brush. Using a flat tipped brush loaded with just enough paint to go on smoothly, I lightly brush the figure. Sorry this picture is a little fuzzy because it is a dark cloudy day, my camera does not have a super low f stop, I don’t want a ton of grain in the picture produced by a high ISO and I have no tri pod to stabilize the slower shutter speed.
Finally I added some white and grey and did a couple of dry brushings. Sorry I didn’t take pics of each dry brush step I did, but it was basically the same as the dry brushes in steps 4 and 5. This time I used less white and made sure there was not too much paint on the brush.
When the skin was done I did a little detail work on the mouth, adding a golden tooth for fun! Don’t worry, I plan on doing the rocks on his skin a different color, I just haven’t decided what color to paint them yet.